Chocolate & Coconut birthday cake! (Gluten free + Lactose free)

Friday 31 July 2015



First it was my boyfriend sister's birthday, then it was finally his turn to get his own cake and some birthday presents. This cake was again a trial and error process. If I were to do it again I already know what should be different. However my boyfriend was truly happy about this cake and before I even noticed, it was already gone. 
While looking for all ingredients for the cake I came across these adorable popcorn boxes. I couldn't resist them so I had to include them in the photos. Another thing I was very excited about were the roasted coconut flakes. I have never tried it before, but the minute I saw it on the store's shelf, I could already imagine it as the cake's frosting. Eventually, I came back home with the package of the roasted coconuts, lactose free cream cheese, cocoa powder and a blurry idea of what I will do with all this. In the end, I decided to bake a sponge cake with added cocoa powder, use the cream cheese and some powdered sugar for the cream, add some homemade cherry jam and finish off with the roasted coconut flakes.







Ingredients:

Spong cake (16 cm baking form)
3 eggs
130 g of sugar
0,3 cap of corn flour
0,3 cup of potato flour
3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
(Baking this sponge cake once was enough to have 2 layers for the cake)

Frosting
300 g of cream cheese (lactose free)
150 g of butter (lactose free)
3/4 cup of powdered sugar
100 g of roasted coconut flakes

Additionally
~ 5 tablespoons of homemade cherry jam 



Preparation


Sponge cake
1. Preheat the oven to 160-170 degrees, then cover the bottom of the baking form with baking paper. (Sides should not be covered)

2. Separate egg whites from egg yolks. Start mixing the egg whites until they get thick. Gradually add sugar and then the egg yolks (one by one, while mixing). Keep mixing until the batter is smooth.

3. Add flour and the cocoa powder to the batter and mix together either using a spoon or with a mixer at the lowest speed.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking form and bake for 30-40 minutes. (Avoid opening the oven door while baking)

5. Once the cake sponge is ready, take it out from the oven and carefully throw it (in the form) down to the table from the height of approximately 50-60 cm. This will make the cake flat and well shaped.


Cream and Frosting
1. Beat the butter until it is light and creamy. Then add powdered sugar and keep on mixing until it gets smooth. Beat in the cream cheese afterwards and put the ready mixture in the fridge for a while. It will thicken and get more stiff, which makes it easier to distribute it on the cake afterwards.

2. Spread a thin layer of the cream on the cake layers using a spatula. Refrigerate for around 15 minutes. (I also put some homemade cherry jam in between the two layers of the sponge cake, again, to make the taste of the whole cake more characteristic and interesting). In the end, spread the remaining frosting all over the cake and cover with the roasted coconut flakes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs