Banana-cherry muffins (Gluten free + lactose free)

Sunday 8 November 2015



My gluten free baking was a disaster at the very beginning. I was quite lost and I had no idea where to look for advice or tips that might help me with this whole gluten free topic. I was in London back then (when I was told I have the celiac disease), and I remember entering a bookshop and discovering a huge shelf of books about gluten free diet. I was very happy to see so many options and so many "textbooks" that I might use from now on. I bought at least three books right on the spot and started digging into them immediately.
The excitement and happiness was gone the minute after I went through most of the recipes and realised that I will definitely not use any of them. I don't know why it is so, that all those recipes had to include some exotic ingredients which are only available online or in some very special stores that you definitely cannot find around the corner. It didn't make any sense to me. Is it really that impossible to bake gluten free using more "normal" ingredients..? I have spent days going through different books, websites and blogs, and finally I found some niche blogs and websites that were helpful (most of them are polish). So it turned out one does not need to have all those fancy flours that are ridiculously expensive. Rice flour, corn flour, potato flour, buckwheat flour and the fanciest one - amaranth flour are the solution! Of course I understand if people want to experiment with different ingredients, but for me it really was a problem to find them all and most importantly, they would probably completely ruin my home budget..

So, here is a proof of what one can do with rice flour. I promise, you won't be disappointed!






Ingredients:

160g rice flour
120g sugar
4 bananas (middle size)
80g lactose free butter (at room temperature)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
200g frozen cherries
a pinch of salt


Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (top and bottom heat) and line the muffin tin with muffin cups.
2. Beat butter with sugar and a pinch of salt, then add the eggs and mix together. 
3. Mix rice flour with baking powder and vanilla sugar and add gradually to the butter and eggs, then mix them together.
4. Mash up bananas and add them to the dough. Mix thoroughly. 
5. Fold in the frozen cherries (with a spoon, not the mixer).
6. Fill the dough into the muffin cups and bake for 35-40 minutes.

(I have taken these out a bit too early - patience is not my strongest virtue... but they still tasted perfect! Although I didn't let them grow up much:) )

Recipe from: here






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs